Pie crust dough (for top and bottom crust)
4 medium sized apples (I used gala), peeled and diced
1 T. apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1 T. cornstarch or arrowroot starch
2 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
For the top;
1 T. sparkling sugar
2 T. half and half
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- After making the crust and letting chill in the refrigerator, roll out one half of the crust while still cold in a rough rectangular shape.
- Place this crust on parchment paper that has been placed on a lipped baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the diced apples, vinegar, cornstarch, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Dump the apples in the middle of the pie crust.
- Fold each end up and over the apples, it will not cover them.
- Roll the other piece of crust out (cut with a cookie cutter if desired) and place on top of the other crust and apples. If not using a cookie cutter, slit the top crust to allow for venting during baking.
- Gently tuck the top crust under the bottom crust to form a sealed giant hand pie!
- Brush the top of the pie with half and half and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place the pie in the middle of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn at 20 minutes so that the front of the pie is now at the back of the oven and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and the apples are bubbling through the slits or cookie cutter opening.