4 c. all-purpose flour (sifted)
1 c. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 T. minced dried lemon peel
3 large eggs at room temperature
1/2 c. half and half
1/2 c. olive oil
1 large egg yolk
1/4 c. sparkling sugar or turbinado sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Butter a 9 x 5 loaf pan and dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together.
- Add the sugar and lemon peel.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, oil and half and half.
- Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and with a wooden spoon, mix until it starts to come together.
- Use your hands to finish kneading the dough into an oblong loaf.
- Place the dough in the prepared loaf pan.
- Whisk the egg yolk, brush on the top of the loaf and generously sprinkle the sparkling sugar on top.
- Bake the loaf for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes and then remove from the pan, slice and serve.
- Category: holiday bread