- 1 cup butternut squash, mashed (see Instant Pot cooking instructions below)
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liner, then spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the butternut squash: Cut the squash (no need to peel) in about 4-6 chunks and remove the seeds. Place the wire metal trivet into the Instant Pot, and add 1 ½ cups of water. Place the squash pieces on top of the trivet in a single layer (though it’s okay if the overlap a bit). Cook at high pressure for 7 minutes, and allow for natural release. Remove (carefully!) from the IP and once it’s cool enough to handle, scoop out 1 cup of the flesh. Set aside.
- Make the topping: In a small bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Using your hands, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it has some pea-sized pieces and looks like wet sand. Set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients: Thoroughly whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and all the spices, and set aside.
- Combine the wet ingredients: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the mashed butternut squash, butter, honey, eggs and vanilla extract. Stir together until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients: Add the dry ingredients to the squash mixture all at once, and mix until just combined. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure all ingredients were fully mixed.
- Distribute the batter evenly among 12 paper lined muffin cups (I like to use a 1/3 cup ice cream distribute). Sprinkle a very full 1 tablespoon of the topping onto each of the muffins (it’ll look like a lot – you’ll want it fully covered). If that still leaves you with a bit of extra topping, evenly divide it among all the muffins.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 18-22 minutes. Cool slightly before serving, and enjoy!