- 3/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter, for the pan
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted (to top the biscuits)
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, cut into 1’ cubes
- ½ cup cooked, crumbled Beyond Meat
- 1 scallion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place a 10’ cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat as well.
- Lay shredded zucchini out flat on a few layers of a paper towel. Cover with another paper towel, and place something heavy on top to extract the water (I used a large cast iron pan). Let sit while you prepare the biscuit dough.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the flour, baking powder and salt. Pulse the machine a few times to mix the dry ingredients. Next add the cold butter cubes, and pulse a few more times, until the butter is cut in and the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add the Beyond Meat, cheese, and scallions. Give a handful of zucchini shreds a squeeze – if they’re still a little wet, pile them into a paper towel and squeeze the rest of the water out. Add to the food processor with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pulse the food processor a few times to give everything a good mix, then add the milk and run the food processor until biscuit dough has fully come together and actually looks like dough (this will happen quickly).
- Carefully remove the cast iron from the oven and place one tablespoon of butter in it. Using a silicone pastry brush, work the pat of butter around, greasing the entire pan, including the sides.
- Drop by batter 1/3 cupful into hot skillet (I use a large ice cream scope) then brush the tops with melted butter.
- Bake until golden brown, 23-28 minutes. Let rest in the pan for about 10 minutes, and then serve warm.