1 c. buckwheat flour
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
5 T. unsalted butter, cold and cut into chunks
about 1/2 to 3/4 c. half and half
1/4 c. sparkling sugar (or turbinado sugar)
- Combine the first five ingredients and briefly mix using the paddle attachment with a stand mixer.
- Add the cut up butter to the mix and beat on low speed until the butter is crumbly with the dry ingredients.
- While the mixer is still running on low speed, slowly add the half and half into the mixture. Only add enough just until the dough comes together in a ball. Try not to over wet the dough.
- Using a rolling pin, place the ball on a baking stone or baking sheet and roll out about 1/2 inch thick, the circle will be about 8 inches in diameter.
- Generously brush on half and half cream on the top of the scones and also generously sprinkle the sparkling sugar on the top as well.
- Cut the scones into 8 wedges and then using a spatula move the wedges out so they are about an inch apart before baking.
- Bake at 400 degrees fahrenheit for 15 to 18 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Cool slightly and serve.