6 T. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c. brown sugar
2 large eggs (I used duck eggs)
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. cinammon
1/4 t. cardamom
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. hazelnut flour
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. cinnamon
4 T. unsalted butter, room temperature
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Butter an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- To make the cake, combine the butter and sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Beat in one egg at a time.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined and then slowly add in the milk.
- Beat until well combined and light in color (about a minute).
- Scrape the dough into the buttered pan, it will be thick, spread it evenly through the pan.
- To make the streusel, combine all of the ingredients and mix in the butter with your hands until a crumbly mixture forms.
- Spread the streusel evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or just until done, can evenly be slightly underdone and then let cool on the stovetop.
- Best served warm.