2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt + 1 t. for salting noodle water
1/3 c. + 1 T. 2% milk
1 T. butter
2 c. 2% milk
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 T. butter
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
2 to 3 T. grated parmesan
dash of pepper
To make the noodles:
- In a stand mixer with the kneading hook attached, combine the flour, salt, butter and eggs and knead on medium speed until the eggs are just starting to mix into the flour.
- Add in the milk and knead vigorously for several minutes until the dough forms a smooth ball.
- Wrap the ball of dough in plastic wrap and let sit for 15 minutes while you prep your pasta maker.
- Right before starting to make the noodles, prep a medium sized pot with water and salt and start boiling.
- Cut the dough into 4 pieces and flatten the first quarter in your hand slightly.
- On the thickest rolling setting, roll the quarter through once. Make the roller, half the thickness of the first roll and roll the dough one more time through. The dough will be long (about 12 inches), cut in half for ease of creating noodles.
- Using the noodle cutting side of the pasta maker, cut each half on the fettuccine setting.
- By now the water should be boiling, separating one noodle at a time, plop the noodles in the water. They will fall to the bottom and rise to the top within seconds. Move the noodles with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- I cut and boiled each quarter of dough as I went because it worked well for me but you could cut all the dough and then boil all the noodles too.
- Butter an 8 x 8 glass baking dish and put the noodles in the dish. Set aside and pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit while making the cheese sauce.
To make the cheese sauce:
- Warm butter to medium heat and stir in the flour. Add in a little bit of the milk and mix together while slowly heating the mixture to medium high heat.
- Continually add more milk while stirring until all milk is added.
- Once warm, continue stirring and add in all but a few T. of the shredded cheese. Almost immediately it will melt so just briefly stir and then pour the entire mixture evenly over top of the noodles in the dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese, parmesan and pepper over the noodles.
- Bake uncovered for about 18 to 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let cool briefly and serve warm. Best served when made but it tasted good reheated as well!