3/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. pre-shredded parmesan (these are in 5 oz tubs in the deli section of my grocery)
5 T. unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
a dash of fresh ground sea salt
2 to 3 T. water
flour for dusting
egg for egg wash
more salt for sprinkling
- Combine the flour, cheese, butter and salt in a food processor.
- Lightly pulse and then turn on to lowest speed and slowly pour in the 2 to 3 T. of water and let processor run until the dough clumps, after adding the water it can take 10 seconds or so.
- Remove the dough from the processor to a lightly floured surface and knead slightly to form a ball.
- Roll out quite thin, my dough rolled out was about 12 x 18 inches.
- I used a 1 7/8 inch scalloped cutter to cut approximately 50 circles. I left the remaining scraps as is and baked them separately.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit while making the egg wash.
- Make the egg wash by whisking one egg with 2 T. of water. Whisk vigorously to get a thin and evenly mixed egg wash.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place all 50 puffs on one large sheet. They will touch and that’s OK because they will shrink to almost half their size.
- With a silicon brush, lightly brush each puff with egg wash and then sprinkle generously with fresh cracked sea salt.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until they get lightly brown on top.
- I baked all of the scraps on a separate sheet the same way, also washing with the egg wash and sprinkling with salt.