2 c. flour
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. + 2 T. brown sugar
8 oz. unsalted butter
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 T. bourbon
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. buttermilk
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Butter a standard 9-inch loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a saute pan over medium high heat. Brown the butter by heating it until the bubbling has ceased and the butter has turned a golden brown color. It will take several minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the bananas, eggs, 1/2 c. brown sugar, bourbon, vanilla and buttermilk in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat with the paddle attachment until combined.
- Add in the flour mixture and beat again just until combined.
- With the mixer still running slowly pour in the browned butter, all except 2 T.
- Place the pan back on medium heat with the 2 T. butter and add in the 2 T. brown sugar. Stir continuously until the sugar mixture is bubbling, this will take several minutes.
- Pour the sugar mixture into the bottom of the loaf pan and spread around.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and no longer jiggly.
- Cool in the pan on a cooling rack until the pan is no longer too warm.
- Slide a knife around the edges of the pan and invert and pop the loaf out.
- Let cool outside of the pan for several minutes, slice and serve.