- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped apple + 1/2 cupe shredded apple (from 1 medium apple)
- 1/3 cup + 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor (like a Cuisinart), using the shredding blade, grate the butter (warning: it’ll be loud!). Pour the grated butter in to a small bowl (getting as much of it out of the bowl as you can), and set aside.
- Place the chopping blade in the food processor. Add the flour, cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pulse the food processor a few tims to mix the ingredients, then pour the butter in to the the flour mixture. Pulse again a few times to work in the butter, until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the chopped and shredded apple, and 1/3 cup sliced almonds, and pulse again until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk apple sauce and egg until smooth.
- Pour the apple sauce mixture into flour mixture, and run the food processor until large dough clumps start to form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball, and then turn out on to a floured countertop.
- Pat the dough into a 7- to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Press 1/4 cup of almonds in to the top. Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 triangles
- Place on a cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes.