- 2 cups bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4–6 large apples, such as granny smith, peeled, cored, and sliced into fairly thick wedges
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spread the bread cubes on an oven-safe pan, and place in toaster oven. Toast cubes until lightly browned and golden. Remove, transfer to the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Pour the bread crumbs in to a bowl, mix with melted butter and granulated sugar.
- Toss apple slices with lemon juice and set aside.
- In a 3rdbowl, mix brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon zest and salt.
- Butter or grease the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish. Add half the apples, then top with an even layer of 1/2 the brown sugar mixture and 1/2 the bread crumbs. Repeat, using up the ingredients and ending on the bread crumbs.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the top is golden brown and apples are tender.