adapted from the Joy of Cooking
1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 stick (8 T.) cold butter, cut into chunks
1 1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt
1/2 c. whole milk
7 medium sized pears – peeled, cored and cut into 1 inch chunks
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. honey
1 T. apple cider vinegar
3 t. arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
3 T. sparkling sugar for topping the dough
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Combine the prepared pears, sugar, honey, vinegar and arrowroot in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour the fruit mixture into an 8 x 8 glass baking dish.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy and then beat in the flour, baking powder, salt and milk.
- Mix just until combined and then with your hands, place blobs of dough on top of the fruit, somewhat evenly.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with the sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the fruit is generously bubbling and the cobbler top is golden brown.
- Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Best served warm with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.