1 package active dry yeast
2 T. room temperature water
1/2 c. pineapple juice, room temperature
4 T. unsalted butter, melted
1/3 c. brown sugar
2 extra large eggs + 1 egg yolk (reserve the white for the wash)
1 t. vanilla extract
3 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 1/4 t. salt
2 T. avocado (or vegetable oil)
- Combine the yeast and water in the bowl of standmixer and let sit for 5 minutes or until the yeast comes alive.
- While the yeast is blooming, in a separate bowl, combine the juice, butter, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Add this mixture to the yeast mixture as well as 2 c. of the flour and the salt.
- Knead the dough with the dough hook attached and then about a 1/2 c. at a time add in the rest of the flour.
- Knead for about 5 minutes, the dough will be very sticky and loose but should pull away from the bowl.
- With a bowl scraper, scrape the dough to one side of the bowl and pour in most of the oil into the bowl. Scrape the dough around the bowl until completely coated with oil and formed into a nice cohesive ball.
- Cover the bowl and place in a slightly warmer than room temperature area. I achieve this by warming my oven to 100 degrees fahrenheit briefly, turning off, and then placing the covered bowl in my oven with the door closed.
- Let rise for 2 hours.
- Have some additional flour handy when cutting this dough into 16 equal pieces and forming into balls. The dough is loose but formable.
- In a 9 x 13 inch glass (well greased) pan, place 15 of the buns (5 x 3) into the pan. I have no idea how KA placed 16 rolls in one pan. I placed the last bun in its own little glass custard dish. Cover the buns with slightly greased plastic wrap and let rise another hour or overnight in the refrigerator (this is what I did).
- If letting rise in the refrigerator overnight, the next morning, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit, and let the buns rise for an additional hour at room temperature.
- Bake the hawaiian buns for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown on top and bottom.
- Let cool completely before removing from pan.