- ½ pound thin spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or lard
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
- 4 eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (not at all optional)
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil.
- Combine garlic and 4 tablespoons of the oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the garlic, pressing it into the oil occasionally to release its flavor; it should barely color on both sides. Remove the garlic.
- Right as you’ve removed the garlic, start cooking the pasta.
- Next, fry the eggs gently in the oil, until the whites are just about set and the yolks still quite runny. Drain the pasta – it should be done right around when the eggs are ready – and place in a large bowl. Pour the eggs and oil on to the hot pasta, and toss enthusiastically, breaking up the whites as you do. (The eggs will finish cooking in the heat of the pasta.) Season with plenty of parmesan, salt and pepper, and serve immediately, topping with just a bit more cheese if you like.