2 c. half and half
6 extra large egg yolks
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
6 small glass ramekins
another 1/4 c. sugar for sprinkling the top of the custard
a small kitchen torch
- In a 9 x 13 glass baking dish, fill 1/3 full with water and then place the 6 empty glass ramekins in the dish and sit in the oven.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl add the egg yolks and sugar and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Lastly, add the half and half and whisk until combined.
- Open the oven door, pull the rack that has the 9 x 13 baking dish out of the oven until it catches and slowly pour the custard mixture until the six ramekins are about 3/4 of the way full.
- Slowly push the rack back in the oven and let the ramekins bake for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean.
- Carefully remove the baking dish out of the oven and remove each ramekin to a cooling rack.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate the custards for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Sprinkle the other 1/4 c. of sugar generously onto the 6 portions of custard and slowly and evenly torch each one until a crisp crust forms.
- Serve immediately.
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: french