- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup (1 1/2 sticks), slightly softened at room temperature
- 1 packed cup light brown sugar
- 4 cup grams granulated sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- About 1 cup salty mix-ins, such as nuts, broken mini pretzels, or potato chips
- About 3/4 cup sweet mix-ins, such as chocolate chips or chunks, M&M’s, cut-up candy bars or dried fruit
- In a bowl, whisk dry ingredients together. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together at medium speed until fluffy and smooth, about 4 minutes. Mix in egg, then vanilla. In three batches, add the dry ingredients, mixing to combine each time.
- In a bowl, combine the sweet and salty mix-ins. Add mix-ins to dough and stir until evenly distributed.
- Chill dough for at least 1 hour, and up to 2 days
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
- Drop cookies by heaping, rounded tablespoon on to the baking sheets, leaving space for them to spread.
- Place in oven and bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- When done, the edges should be just browning and the tops should feel soft. Let cool on the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.
I used a combination of:
- 1/2 cup – heaping! – of salt and vinegar potato chips
- 1/2 cup – also heaping! – of coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup crispy m&ms
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips