- unsalted butter, for greasing pan
- 6 eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 1 cup of sugar, divided
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup of neutral oil
- ⅝ cup (7.5 oz) honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of half a lemon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 12-cup bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks with a ½ cup of the sugar, until they become pale and creamy, about 2 minutes on high.
- Add the orange juice, oil and honey, vanilla and lemon zest, and mix well to combine. Add the flour and baking powder, and mix until just incorporated. Transfer batter to a large mixing bowl.
- Clean and dry the bowl to the stand mixer. Add the egg whites and beat on medium-high speed until frothy. Gradually add the remaining ½ cup of sugar continuing to beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks are formed.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter ⅓ at a time, until evenly combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake until golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with dry crumbs, about 40-50 minutes.
- Let the cake cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan, then proudly slice in front of your guests to reveal the white interior.
I made only very minor changes to the recipe – on important note, though. The original recipe only has you cook the cake fro 25-30 minutes, mine took almost double that time, which I’ve reflected here.
- Category: dessert