1 batch pie dough
4 medium apples (cored and cut into small chunks, I left skin on)
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. + 2 T. flour
pinch of salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 1/3 T. cold unsalted butter cut into 12 little squares
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. almond flour
1/2 c. room temperature butter, unsalted
pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Roll the entire batch of pie dough out onto a floured board and once rolled out to to between an 1/8 and a 1/4 inch thick, cut circles using a cookie or biscuit cutter. I used a 3 7/8 inch biscuit cutter.
- Place each circle into each cup of a muffin tin and gently press down into the cup and up the sides. I kneaded the scraps of dough back together and rolled out enough dough to make an extra 4 inch apple pie in a little tart pan.
- Place the muffin tin in the refrigerator while preparing the apple mixture and the streusel topping (about 20 to 30 minutes).
- Prepare the apple mixture by coring and chopping the apples (I used gala and jazz varieties) and tossing in a bowl with the flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Prepare the streusel topping by combining the flour, sugar and almond flour together. Cut the butter into small chunks and with your hands incorporate the butter into the mixture and continue to squeeze and crumble the streusel until it is grainy and clumps.
- Pull the muffin tin out of the refrigerator and with a large spoon scoop heaps of the apple filling into each muffin cup. I used my fingers to press down the apple chunks and fit as much apple filling as possible to the very top of each cup.
- Place each small chunk of butter onto each pie.
- With a smaller spoon, spoon generous heaps of streusel topping on the center of each pie. With your fingers you can slightly spread it around. Don’t be afraid to be generous with the streusel.
- To the 4 inch tart pan I added the last of the apple filling and some streusel (there will be extra streusel that can be stored in the freezer for later desserts).
- Bake the li’l pies for about 24 minutes or until the center apple mixture is bubbling up through the streusel and the top of each pie is golden brown.
- Bake the tart for about 30 to 32 minutes or until the filling is also bubbly and the tart is golden brown.
- Let cool and serve slightly warm!
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: all american