- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- about 5 grinds fresh black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup popcorn
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ cup butter (1 ½ sticks)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Arrange two oven racks in the top and bottom third of the oven and preheat the oven to 250°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix spices and baking soda together, and set aside.
- To make the popcorn, heat 3 corn kernels and the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Once all three kernels have popped, pour the rest of the popcorn into the pan, put the lid on, and shake the pan to coat the kernels with oil. The corn will start popping within a few minutes and again, shake the pan occasionally until the popping slows. Once done, empty corn into a large heat-proof bowl.
- In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar together, whisking constantly. Increase the heat to medium high and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue boiling for 3-4 minutes while continuing to stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Once the sauce is cooked, turn off the heat, and stir in the spice mixture and vanilla the sugar (it’ll bubble up with enthusiasm).
- Slowly pour the caramel sauce over the popcorn while stirring (having a buddy help out is helpful, though not necessary, in this step). Continue mixing until all of the popcorn until all of the kernels are coated.
- Divide the popcorn between two baking sheets, spreading into an even layer (clumping together is fine!) Bake for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
- Category: snacks