4 c. all-purpose unbleached flour
2 t. salt
2 t. sugar
2 1/4 t. active dry yeast
2 c. warm water
4 T. olive oil
salt for sprinkling
- Add the warm water, yeast and sugar into a 2.5 quart rockcrok or large pyrex bowl or clay or stone bakeware. Let sit for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- Add the flour and salt and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the pot with a shower cap or plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for an hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Using a bowl scraper, scrape around the edges of the pot and deflate the dough.
- Scrape the dough to one side of the pot and pour 1 T. of olive oil on the bottom of the pot.
- Scrape the dough to the other side of the pot and pour another T. of olive oil on the bottom of the pot.
- Then pour the remaining olive oil over the top of the dough and sprinkle with the salt.
- Place the pot in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Remove the pot from the oven and let cool on a cooling rack for 15 to 20 minutes or until cool enough to loosen with a knife and turn the pot upside down to remove the bread.
- Cool the loaf on the cooling rack or cut right away and enjoy.
- Category: bread
- Cuisine: fresh homemade bread