for the swirl:
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup well-crushed chocolate covered espresso beans
for the cake batter:
- 1 box Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons instant espresso powder dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- 8 ounces sour cream
for the glaze:
- 2 Tablespoons instant espresso powder dissolved in 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a Bundt pan well with non-stick cooking spray.
In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and crushed espresso beans, and set aside.
In a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer), mix together all of the cake batter ingredients. Pour half of the batter (about 2 cups) into Bundt pan, then sprinkle the cinnamon/brown sugar/expresso bean mixture over the batter in the Bundt pan, then pour the remaining batter on top. Swirl a knife through the batter, 2-3 times, to make a ribbon pattern.
Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let cool prior to removing from pan, then invert on to a baking cooling rack.
To make the glaze, combine the powdered sugar and espresso in the bowl of a stand mixer, and beat until combined. If the glaze is too runny, add a bit more powdered sugar; conversely, if it’s too dry, add more water, one teaspoon at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
Drizzle the glaze over the cake, and serve.
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch