- 3/4 cup demerara sugar
- 3 lemons
- 2 cups rum
- 1 1/4 cups cognac
- 5 cups black tea
- heat proof bowl or enameled cast-iron pot
- n the basin of an enameled cast-iron pot or heatproof bowl, add sugar and the peels of three lemons.
- Rub lemons and sugar together to release citrus oils. For more greater infusion, let sit for 30 minutes.
- Add rum and cognac to the sugar and citrus.
- Light a match, and, using a heatproof spoon (stainless steel is best), pick up a spoonful of the spirit mix.
- Carefully bring the match to the spoon to light.
- Carefully bring the lit spoon to the spirits in the bowl.
- Let the spirits burn for about three minutes. The fire will melt the sugar and extract the oil from the lemon peels.
- Extinguish the bowl by covering it with a heatproof pan or tray.
- Skim off the lemon peels (leaving them too long in may impart a bitter flavor).
- Squeeze in the juice of the three peeled lemons, and add hot tea or water.
- Garnish with citrus wheels.
- Ladle into individual glasses.
A heatproof bowl (enameled cast-iron is your best bet) and a heatproof spoon (stainless steel will do) are highly necessary to this process.