Cheddar Garlic Butter Biscuits
During this month of extra love and candy hearts and red roses we thought we’d bring you food we love to feed the ONES we love. I don’t know about you but food is often how I show others my appreciation and love for them.
Whether it’s homemade christmas cookies or pita bread for a co-worker who always helps me out or cake to celebrate a birthday, food is a way for me to show I care. A desire to stay in touch with a friend through food is how this blog got started!
This blog has been a place to share life through food and I think back to when I first became an aunt back in 2011 and I posted little baby blue cupcakes in honor of the birth of my first nephew, Jack.
Although my brother, Matt, and his family (Bree, Jack and Ryan) live on the other side of the country, we have been able to visit them often. Sadly, we have visited them more frequently in the last two years because my nephew Jack was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia in 2015. Jack LOVES bread and so I would make him breads like this ciabatta while there. Once, when he was really struggling to eat anything, all he would eat were Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits so I made an entire batch (from the box mix) and took them to him in the hospital. He ate them all in less than 24 hours!
Sadly, the leukemia has taken over Jack’s little body and two weeks ago the doctors told my brother there is nothing left to do. As I thought about our theme this month all I could think of was how much I wish I could make Jack cheddar biscuits one last time. This time I made them from scratch from a fellow blogger’s site that I really enjoy.
The biscuits won’t make it to Jack in time, I never really intended to send them. That’s not why I made them. Just as I shared my joy of becoming an aunt through posting little cupcakes, now I share my sadness of losing a nephew, by posting one of Jack’s favorite treats, these biscuits. Every March 25th, when I think of Jack on his birthday, I will make these biscuits and remember how much he enjoyed them and how much I love him!
Cheddar Garlic Butter Biscuits
Yield 8 large biscuits
adapted from Damn Delicious
2 c. all-purpose unbleached flour
1 T. sugar
1 T. baking powder
2 t. garlic powder
1 t. himalayan sea salt
1 c. buttermilk (I use 4 T. of powdered cultured buttermilk and 1 c. water mixed)
1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted
6 oz. extra sharp cheddar, shredded
3 T. salted butter, melted
1 T. chopped freshly parsley
1/2 t. garlic powder
- Line a large baking sheet with a silicon mat (or parchment paper).
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit.
- Combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, melt the butter. In a third bowl, combine the powdered buttermilk and water and whisk in the melted butter.
- Add the butter and buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a spoon just until combined.
- Add in the cheddar and stir again.
- The dough will be wet. With a large spoon, scoop large scoops (almost 1/2 c. each) onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool on the baking sheet while melting the salted butter with the garlic powder and chopped parsley.
- With a silicon brush, generously butter the warm biscuits with butter.
- Serve immediately or let cool completely and refrigerate.
- If refrigerated warm slightly before serving
February 4, 2018
This entry was posted in breads, breakfast, brunch, favorites in Colorado, quick and easy and tagged biscuits, cheddar bay, damn delicious, nephew, red lobster.